Monday 15 October 2012

[Single Review] Ga In- 'Bloom'

Bloom! It really is such a magical word, filled with a sort of mystique and a sense of intangible hope, or development. Applied to a song title, to me, was slightly odd and out of Ga-in's usual solo work, which by all means was usually really gothic or dark. So, just hearing about the song title just gave me more interest into finding out how Ga-in's image could change for her new solo comeback.

Ga-in is my second favourite member of BEG, with Narsha being my ultimate bias. I love Ga-in because of her sexiness. And it is not just that type of 'I'll strip off my clothes and shake my ass in your face' type, rather a more conserved, yet brash, bold and unrefined type of confidence that simply exudes an aura of empowerment which I find just so utterly captivating and sultry. Oh, and not forgetting to mention her singing abilities. I feel like being in BEG is like a double-edged sword for her. Firstly, she can stand out by virtue of the fact that practically no one else other than Narsha actually bothers to actively promote themselves on variety shows, and Ga-in's stint has sure as hell brought her legions of endearing fans. Second, her talents can be overshadowed by the powerhouse diva Jea, or the bad-ass swagtastic Miryo or the hularious, tender-vocalled Narsha, which makes her singing abilities sort of meh. Compare her to the best singer in Kara for God's sake (Gyuri) and you'll see where I am getting at. Like seriously..... It is sort of her bad luck that she's in a group of such amazing individuals, so I'm happy she is at least making an attempt to go for these solos and really put herself out there. That being said, this comeback of hers sure as hell does not disappoint.

Let's go play by play, first on the intro, then the verses, then the chorus/pre-chorus, then the conclusion.

The introduction is something quite different from what I usually hear from most BEG or Ga-in songs. It is really quite upbeat and peppy, with a nice light guitar backing going along with it. The vibe I get is one of dance pop, or even fun bluesy music, which is really quite an interesting direction given Ga-in's typical take on her image and artistry. And so, the song starts. Ga-in's voice is very unique in that it is high-pitched but with quite an endearing quality to it. It's almost angelic, being very delicate and light, which she successfully managed to contort to suit all of BEG's hits. In 'Bloom', she really gets to ability to show her distinctive sound and coupled with the background, I think they work rather well in setting a tone for the fun beat of the song.

The verse is rather consistent throughout, with Ga-in's wailing and falsetto working and harmonizing very well. The bit before the chorus with 'speak up' being chanted incessantly is a bit of a let-down, as it breaks the pace of the song, from a cheery tune to a rather abrupt shift in momentum and feel, which really go quite jarringly against the rest of the verses before it.

The chorus is brilliant, a display of raw power (though not in a diva sort of way) and emotion which really reach out to listeners.Her vocals are almost spiritual in the chorus, and they remind me somewhat of Ailee, although they somewhat lack in the aspect of powerhouse vocals, but they are brilliant overall.

With that, I will end of the review. A great song from an unorthodox but epically fierce artist. I hope all of you can hear this, and Ga-in, I hope you keep re-inventing yourself, and provide us with these awesome tracks. Listeners will definitely bloom as you do in your career!

Next week, we will be doing, 'I Don't Need A Man' by Miss A. It's aweshum!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is overrating the actual song. Although it may be good that Ga-In tries to have a taste of other genres and thus tries to sing a more cute-pop song, her true strength really lies in her previous songs. And as you said, her 'empowering aura' which she has really doesn't fit this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song is not really about empowering others, more of empowering herself. Its about her growing into a mature woman (by losing her virginity). Her true strength, I believe, is her versatility but your opinions are valid too.

    Still, I love this song.

    ReplyDelete