Friday 24 August 2012

An Introduction

Kpop Philosophy. I am pretty sure many out there (especially the kpop antis lurking about in cyberspace, waiting to hate) would figure this phrase as somewhat of an oxymoron.

I hear many a time people saying that Kpop is fake and shallow, which really irk me as most of their criticisms usually come about rather unjustified, other than through the peer pressure of the rest of their friends either having a dislike for Kpop or not knowing about it in its entirety. I have tried asking people to give it a chance, but apparently my attempts have proven unfruitful and many of them continue to uphold biased typecasts against it.

In honesty, I do not see why they perceive Kpop as fake. Kpop is music and music is never fake. It exists around us, it smothers our ears with melodies, good or bad. Saying Kpop is fake would imply that it is a form of music which does not exist, which not only questions the theories of matter but also defies all forms of common logic. I would understand if they were to say they dislike Kpop, I mean, each to his own right? But to label it as fake simply disrespects the efforts which the artists put into creating their tracks and disregards any element of Kpop's existence, which to me is ridiculously unjustified and insensitive.

Honestly, I did not like Kpop at first. Not mere dislike, almost of a hatred, and yes I was affected by my friends. I did not comprehend why people would enjoy songs of which 70% of their lyrics were completely alien to them. I took a hiatus from exposing myself to Kpop for a while, before I accidentally came across Brown Eyed Girls' Abracadabra one day, and it really showed me that the messages of the song could resonate through anyone, and that music was a universal language. I could feel the raw power in the song, I could somewhat grasp a message through the sounds and controversial video; it was eye-opening and really got me to start digging Kpop. Yet, if only others could give it a chance.

Anyway, the reason I am setting up this blog is to mainly give weekly reviews of popular Kpop tracks, along with my analysis of them, and also a weekly recommendation of not-so-heard tracks that will definitely worm their ways into listeners' heads. I want to show Kpop's complexities and wonders, which I feel have yet to been discovered by many out there. This blog thus could serve as an insult to them, showing them what they have truly been missing out on.

KPOP for the win.

- The Kpop Philosopher

No comments:

Post a Comment